Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) tear is one of the most common types of knee injuries among athletes and other persons involved in speedy daily activities. Beaumont states that there are almost 100,000 to 200,000 ACL ruptures annually in the U.S. Knee injuries are very sensitive and must only be treated by specialists who have accumulated the necessary experience. That is why you need to book an appointment with James M. Lee, Jr., MD if you are looking for Bayonne ACL tear, New Jersey. In this post, we shall discuss ACL tears’ causes, symptoms, and treatment.
ACL Tear Causes
Many studies on ACL injuries have established that the condition is more prevalent in women than men. Scientists have attributed these findings to the difference in muscular strength, physical conditioning, and neuromuscular control as contributing factors among the separate genders. Common causes of ACL injuries are as listed below.
- Stopping suddenly after a quick run.
- Fast and immediate change of directions while running.
- Collision or direct contact with a person in the opposite direction.
- Taking a wrong landing.
ACL injuries caused by high collisions may produce a popping sound. Other symptoms that you may feel are as listed below.
- Painful Swelling. After an injury, your knee will swell within the next 24 hours. The pain can also go away after applying simple sprays, but when you return to sports, you risk causing further damage to your cushioning cartilage.
- Feeling some discomfort on your knee while you are walking.
- Loss of motion on a full range.
- Tenderness along the knee joint lines, especially when you attempt to move.
Several factors determine your likelihood of suffering ACL injuries. They are as listed below.
- Being female. Females have weaker muscle strength and more hormonal imbalance than men, thus being exposed to more ACL tears.
- Participation in vigorous sports such as football, gymnastics, downhill skiing, and basketball.
- Footwear/play equipment that does not fit you properly.
- Adopting stylish and faulty movement patterns during plays.
- Playing on unrecommended turf.
Treatment of ACL tears is a very complicated procedure that must be attended by the creme del a creme knee specialists. After visiting a specialist, they will examine your knee and its medical history. Where necessary, they will use X-rays to get the minor details of the tear. RI scans can also be used because they produce better images with softer tissues. However, minor injuries can be evaluated through the use of physical examination. Specific treatment details depend on the injured party’s age and the extent to which the ACL tear has affected their knee. In the worst cases, doctors sometimes can choose to do surgeries.
The above comprehensive description of an ACL tear and its possible causes and symptoms reveals a clear picture of a condition you should never ignore. Do not opt for the street treatments or the general information provided by unverified internet sources. It would help if you relied only on an ACL tear specialist. More so, if you are involved in sporting activities, you should have an ACL tear specialist on your speed dials.