Your body consists of different complex systems involving organs and your skeletal system. This makes it prone to multiple issues or ailments that inhibit the effective functioning of these systems. Many conditions can be dealt with by a medical professional. However, some ailments go away while some of their symptoms remain. This makes it necessary to deal with them to improve the quality of your life. An example of a technique to deal with these stubborn symptoms is physical therapy Houston. More about physical therapy and all it involves is discussed further below.
What is Physical Therapy?
This involves medical professionals called physical therapists with advanced training to identify and deal with unusual physical functions associated with disability, an injury, or other health issues. Their treatment plans focus on enhancing your range of motion and quality of life while preventing more disability or injury
Physical therapists are known to operate in various healthcare environments like:
- Private practices
- Outpatient offices
- Nursing homes
- Rehabilitation centers
- Sports and fitness settings
- Home health
- Government agencies
- Occupational settings
- Research centers
Physical therapists involve themselves in the patient’s condition from the initial diagnosis to treatment involving preventive and restorative recovery sectors. It can be combined with other treatments. Patients see physical therapists on their own accord or recommendation by their physician.
The training physical therapists undergo helps them to:
- Provide a medical prognosis, diagnosis, and course of treatment for both long and short-term goals
- Perform a physical exam to assess the patient’s flexibility, movement, joint and muscle movement, and performance while inquiring about the patient’s medical history
- Give recommendations on self-management, including types of exercise plans to do at home
- Do physical therapy treatment and intervention
Physical therapy not only involves physical manipulation but also incorporates:
- Electrical Stimulation can reduce pain through transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation is another type that triggers muscular motor units to enhance the engagement of your muscles.
- Iontophoresis uses an electrical current to introduce specific drugs like topical steroids to inhibit the appearance of inflammation
- Light therapy uses special lasers and lights to handle specific health issues
- Moist heat, heat, and cold therapy is beneficial to multiple types of medical issues
Many conditions can be alleviated by physical therapy, including:
- Ailments affecting your hand
- Cardiopulmonary problems like cystic fibroids, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and post-myocardial infarction heart failure
- Neurological issues like multiple sclerosis and vestibular dysfunction
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction like back pain
- Injuries from sports like concussions
- Skin injuries or issues like wound care, burns, and diabetic ulcers
- Female health issues and pelvic floor dysfunction such as lymphedema and urinary incontinence
Physical therapy techniques have significant mental and physical advantages. They are primarily used to aid in the healing or treatment process of particular injuries. Surgeries or other invasive treatment plans can be avoided while pain and discomfort are alleviated, reducing the need for habit-forming drugs or opioids. For more physical therapy inquiries, visit our website, or call our offices in Greater Heights, TX.